Empxtrack allows configuration of Groups and Roles to simplify easy searching, collective processing, allocation of common rules, and analytics and reporting. A Group is a collection of employees in one common set such that these groups can be assigned roles for access authorizations.
The global groups can be created by HR Manager and the CEO of a company and cannot be deleted. The global groups are used for setting Appraisal rules, Leave applicability, Assign roles, and Process payrolls.
Note: The functionality to configure global groups and roles is not available in Free Payroll and HR software. Upgrade to a paid version to avail this feature.
To understand different types of global groups, let us create three different types of groups:
- HOD Finance & Accounts department
- Onboarding Manager Role
- Female Employees group
Case 1: HOD Finance & Accounts Department
To create an HOD for Finance & Accounts department through global groups, you need to:
- Log into the system as an HR Admin/HR Manager.
- Go to Settings page and scroll to General settings section. Click Configure groups and roles link as shown in Figure 1.
The Setup employee groups page appears as shown in Figure 2. The page displays a list of already existing global groups.
- Click Add new group button given at the bottom of the page. A new page appears.Figure 2
- In the Step1: Specify a unique name section, provide a name to the group.
- Select the desired role from Step 2: Setup roles section to create a role specific filter. Else you can select the Non Role Specific option if you are creating a non specific role filter. For creating a role for HOD of finance department, select the HOD role. Figure 3
- Select employees in Step 3: Identify employees by applying filters (such as employment type, gender, department, designation) and/or explicitly enter employee names in the search box at the bottom. A complete set of employees will be selected in the group. The system will automatically take a subset of all these employees and exclude those that are not applicable to you.For this case, select Finance & Accounts department from Department filter and then select All from all other filters. The Finance & Accounts department employees of all employment types, gender, designation, location and region etc are selected for the group. Figure 4
- Optionally, you can select specific employees from the Add additional employees to search results for adding specific employees to the group. Select employees from the Exclude following employees from search results to exclude some employees from this group.
- Assign this group to employees in the Step 4: Assign group to employees and give access rights. Assign one or more employees to this group. These employees have the group permissions and can view the group name in various Manage links. For workflow sanctity, it is recommended that you only assign 1 employee if you are giving Full access permissions.
- Select Read only access option if you want the employee to be able to view all the activities of the employees in this group but should not allowed to take any action on those activities. Else select Full access.
- Provide the name of the employee in the Enter employee name textbox and click on the + image to send the employee to the selected list, as shown in Figure 5. The employee is successfully assigned the group of employees that (s)he will head as an HOD. Now you have to assign the permissions to the employee.
- Select All modules from Step 5: Assign module visibility section to allow the HOD to have permissions on all the modules.You can select Selected modules option to allow HOD to have access to only limited modules.Figure 5
- Click Save to save the group.
Case 2: Onboarding Manager Role
The role based filters can also be used to assign specific HR roles to employees. For example, you can assign Onboarding manager role, Recruitment manager role, or Payroll Manager role to various HR Managers. This example assigns an Onboarding Manager role to an employee.
To assign the onboarding role to an employee, you need to:
- Follow steps 1-4 from Case 1 – HOD Finance & Accounts Department.
- Select the HR Manager option from Step 2: Setup roles section.Note: No need to select the filter criteria in Step 2: Identify employees section as the onboarding candidates are external to the company and this option allows you to only select the existing employees for the group to whom this group applies.
- Assign this group to an employee to make him/ her an Onboarding manager for the group.
- Select Full access from Step 4: Assign group to employees and give access rights to provide the onboarding manager the full access rights. Select Read only access option if you want the employee to be able to view all the onboarding activities of the employees in this group, but don’t want the employee to take action on those activities.
- Provide the name of the employee in the Enter employee name textbox and then click on the + image to send the employee to the selected list. The employee is successfully assigned the group of employees that (s)he will head as an Onboarding manager.
- Assign the permissions to the employee on the onboarding module. Select the option Selected Modules from Step 5: Assign module visibility section to allow the onboarding manager to have permissions on the Onboarding module, as shown in Figure 6.
- Click Save to save the group.
Case 3 : Create Female Employees group
Use a non-role specific filter to create specific groups of employees. For example, create a global group for permanent, contractual, or trainee employees. This case demonstrates a non-specific role filter for female employees so that benefits specific to women can be provided to them.
To create a Female group of employees, you need to:
- Follow steps 1-4 from Case 1: HOD Finance & Accounts Department.
- Select the Non Role Specific option from Step 2: Setup roles section.
- In Step 3: Identify employees section, select the filter criteria for the selection of existing employees to whom this group will apply. Let’s filter permanent female employees of Administrative Support Workers and First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers, select Permanent from Employment type list, Female from Gender list and Administrative Support Workers and First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers from Job category List.
From the rest of the lists, you can select All option. You can also select specific employees to make them a part of the group from Add additional employees as a part of the search results field. Select employees from the Exclude following employees from search results to exclude some employees from this group.
Figure 7Note: For Non Role Specific option in Step 2: Setup roles section, you are not allowed to assign access permissions and module visibility permissions to the employee because this group option does not contain any managerial permissions.
- Click Save to save the group. The global group is successfully created and a message suggesting the same appears.
Click on each of these links to know more about them: