The Setup Payroll Variables functionality allows you to setup the payroll heads used in your company. Learn how you can customize variables by activating or deactivating them, modifying their labels, and setting their order of appearance.
To setup payroll fields, you need to:
- Log into the system as HR Admin/ HR Manager.
- Go to Settings >> Payroll Settings >> Configure Payroll The Configure Payroll window appears with Global settings tab opened by default.
- Go to Payroll variables tab.
The page appears with a list of variable types as shown in Figure 1. Each variable type has a list of variables that can be customized according to the specific requirements of your company.
- Click on the variable type that you want to configure. For example, click Employee Data.
- A list of variables for the selected variable type appears in the right side of the Variable type list, as shown in Figure 2.
In this case, the variables of Employee Data variable type appear. The variable type list displays two types of variables, Active and Inactive, each indicating the number of variables they have. The Active variables are the selected variables for the selected variable type. These variables will be used while processing the payroll. The Inactive variables are the variables that are not used by the system in payroll processing.
You can activate inactive variables if required.
- Click Inactive link.
A list of Inactive variables for the selected data type appears.
- Click on the variable that you want to activate.The edit screen for the selected variable appears on the extreme right section of the page, as shown in Figure 3.
Here Date of birth (Inactive variable) is selected.
- Modify the label of the variable by providing a new variable label in the Label text box, if required.
- Select the Active checkbox to activate the variable.
- Click Update.
The variable is successfully modified and a message suggesting the same appears.
- Click Active button to see the variable successfully added to Active variables list, as shown in Figure 4.
- Deactivate the active variables that are not required and modify the labels of the Active variables by following the same steps (7-10) that you followed to activate and modify labels of the Inactive variables, if required.
- Click on up and down arrows () to modify the order of appearance of variables on the payroll processing pages, if required.You can now follow the same steps mentioned above to customize the variables of each variable type.
Click on the following links to know more about them: