This help page gives step by step instructions to start using Empxtrack Free Payroll. Watch the video for step by step instructions to process and run Empxtrack Free Payroll in just a few clicks
Watch a video on how to setup Empxtrack Free Payroll for your organization
Clear Trial Data
To clear pre-populated dummy trial data, you need to:
- Log in to the Free Payroll trial.
Note: The FAQ (?) icon shown adjacent to the Clear Trial Data button redirects you to FAQs and Online Help website. You may like to refer it to learn how to run functionalities in Empxtrack Free Payroll and HR software.
The Progress Indicator on the top bar indicates if you have completed all the mentioned steps in the application.
- Click Clear Trial Data button. A pop-up window appears for confirmation of deletion of trial data (see Figure 2).
- The Setup Application page appears as shown in Figure 3. This page displays steps to setup your company information.Note: Get required support from Empxtrack team for the initial setup of the application and import your data effortlessly. Click on the Need support button to get assistance. The percentage of Progress Dashboard keeps updating as you complete each task.
- Set up a new password and remember it for future reference. The new password would be required when you login to the application next time.
Upload Company Logo
- Specify your company name and upload the company logo. Specify the dimensions of company logo in Width and Height fields. Mention the start date for the financial year and click the Upload button (see Figure 5). The default size supported for the logo is 180px x 60px and the application supports GIF, JPEG and PNG files. The maximum size allowed for the company logo is 1024 kb.
- If you don’t want to process payroll at the moment, click Next button and move further for setting up employee information and attendance and leave rules.If you want to run payroll process, select the checkbox I want to process payroll in empxtrack (as shown in Figure 6) to Setup Company settings by following steps 10, 11 and 12. If you select this option, you will be required to provide your company information. You can setup this information later too.
Setup Attendance and Leave Rules
- You can now create attendance and leave rules on the Attendance Leave Configuration page. Create attendance rules to capture attendance and calculate regular work hours, overtime and under-time. Filling in this data automatically fills the attendance of employees and allows accurate calculations of days worked for payroll.Note: Empxtrack Paid edition allows significant configurations in each of these fields.
Specify the weekends for your organization. Select weekend 1 and 2 in the Weekend Import Rule section from the dropdown as shown in Figure 7. By default, the weekend days are selected. You can change them as per your company requirements. Mention the Default shift timing to indicate work hours.Note: Once you define the weekends here, the attendance register of employees will be automatically populated with these days. In case employees have varying weekends, the functionality is available in advanced versions of the product.
In the Holiday Import Rule section, select Automatically import holiday calendar in attendance option if you want to automatically import holidays in attendance, else choose the option Do not allow attendance creation if holiday calendar not defined. Select the country from Use holiday from dropdown. Holiday calendar is automatically created for a financial year and employee attendance register is automatically populated with holidays.
Note: If a holiday calendar does not exist for an year, the system can automatically import the holidays for the selected geography for the given year. This can avoid challenges in attendance setup for an employee if you forget to setup the holidays. You can always edit holidays post their import or even manually import these.
Now go to the % Day Worked calculation and attendance status section for setting time calculation rules. In Empxtrack, you can specify Time calculation rules that would help in calculation of number of hours an employee has worked. The calculation is based on the hours logged in the application by the employee. Example: If the employee logs between 0 and 4 hours, the system will mark 0 day worked with a status of MIS. If an employee works from 4 to 7 hours, Attendance status is considered as Half day and Percentage of day worked is 50%. This would mean a half-day payment for the employee.The system automatically calculates the percentage of day worked based on attendance in-time and out-time. This allows accurate calculation of wages in the payroll.
The values for From, To, Percentage of day worked and Status fields are filled by default. You can modify these values to map your company requirements.
Credit Leave to Employees
- Next is Leave Configuration section for setting up leave rules. Specify the names of the leave types that are used in your organization in the Label textboxes.Note: Upgrade to the advanced version to avail the functionality to setup more than 3 leave types.Enable the leave types that are applicable to your employees. Select the checkboxes to allow employees to take leave when the leave balance is available for a specific leave type from the Can only be taken if balance available option.
You can Include weekend and holiday if they fall between leave dates by clicking on the checkbox for a leave type. By default, the method to credit leave balance is manual. You can upgrade to the paid version to get auto leave credit rule at the beginning of each month.If you want to Display Overtime in the application, click Yes from the given options. Click the Update values button to save the changes. The message suggesting “Attendance configurations are updated successfully” appears.
Click Next to move to the next step.
- In the Add Employees section, you can upload employee data in two ways – Upload mass employee data in one go (using spreadsheet) and Add employees one-by-one. This section displays number of employees that can be added in the system.(A) Upload employee data in one go. Click the Upload employees using spreadsheet link.
The Upload employee data page appears as shown in Figure 10. You can download the file to identify the format in which employee data needs to be uploaded. To know how to open the file in MS Excel, click Open CSV file. Fill the downloaded file with employee data and upload it in the application to map the fields.
Map fields in the Fields Selection Mapping page by clicking Continue button. Make sure all the Empxtrack and User fields have the same format to avoid data discrepancy.
Click the Confirm button after verifying the employee data as shown in Figure 12.
The employee data is uploaded successfully in the application. A confirmation message appears on the screen to indicate successful upload of employee data.
(B) You can also add a new employee one-by-one by clicking Add an employee button. Input all the personal and employment details of an employee. Remember to fill in the fields marked with asterisk (*).
You can click on the “+” sign to add new fields for Masters such as Department, Designations etc.
Select the checkbox in front of Send a welcome email to employee once the record is added such that they can update the rest of their information option to send a welcome email to the new employee as shown in Figure 13. Once the employee record is saved, HR or employee can fill the remaining information in the application.
In the next section of Salary Information, provide the breakup of the employee salary. You can input monthly or yearly values, but the system internally converts this to yearly values. Input values against all the given salary heads, including Basic, HRA, Special allowance and Conveyance allowance.
Figure 14In the Input leave balance section, applicable leave types are displayed and you can input the leave balance in each leave type. You can even change the balance rules and visibility by going to the Attendance and Leave rules tab.
Click Save. The newly added employee record can be seen in Figure 16. Now number of additional employees that can be added in the system are 73.
Setup Company Information
If you wish to process payroll, setup the company information. For this, go to the first step by clicking Setup Company Information and select the checkbox I want to process payroll in empxtrack.
- Setup your company information in the section that appears. This information is required for generation of various statutory forms. Some of the fields are mandatory (marked with asterisk) that need to be filled to complete company information.In the Company details section, provide company details that are used for various payroll statutory reports. Provide company’s registered address in the Company address fields given, specify the Country, State, State code and City.Further, provide other details Zip, Company email id, STD code (needed for Form 24Q) and Phone number (landline). All these details apply to the default company.
In the Company Financial details section, select the bank account name of your company. Employee salaries are paid from this account number. Provide details of GST number. This will help in crediting GST taxes to your account when your purchase Empxtrack. Enter NA, if GST credit is not required.
ESIC: Select the relevant dropdown option from Employee eligible for ESI field to show if ESIC is applicable or who will bear the contributions for ESIC. Then specify the ESIC account number in the Company ESIC account number field.
Provident fund: Select the relevant dropdown option from Employee eligible for PF field to show if Provident Fund is applicable or who will bear the contributions for PF. Then specify the PF establishment code if the company is eligible for PF.
Specify the Maximum employee PF deductions from the dropdown to set the maximum amount that an employee can contribute for PF. Most companies allow 12% of Basic salary, but some companies specify limits on this.
Empxtrack supports both old and new income tax regimes. Select the preferred option from the Opt income tax regime dropdown.
Specify the Maximum company PF contribution that an organization would do. Most companies match the employee contribution while others set a limit. Then choose an option for labour welfare fund deduction to clarify if it is applicable for your organization, if yes, who will bear the contributions.
Click Save button to move to the next step to fill employee information.
Complete Application Setup – Last Step
- You have reached the Proceed page where status of information provided in the previous steps can be seen based on the data entered by you. Red cross: The step is mandatory and you cannot complete the setup till you complete this step.
Yellow question mark: The step is not mandatory but has not been completed. You can complete this step in Settings menu.
Green tick: The step has been completed successfully.Once all steps are complete, Proceed button will show at the bottom. Clicking on Proceed button completes the setup and you can start using Empxtrack Free Payroll application.
- You are now ready to use Empxtrack Free Payroll and HR software. Watch the video on running payroll for the first time and view step by step instructions.
Upgrade to a Paid Edition
13. To upgrade the application, click on Upgrade button as shown in Figure 20. You can upgrade the application to buy additional employee licenses, purchase Advanced Payroll or start using additional products for free. Watch a video on how to upgrade Empxtrack Free Payroll in a few clicks.
Once you setup the application, you may like to configure the payroll settings to meet your company requirements. Watch a short video on how easily you can configure global payroll settings in Empxtrack
Click on the following links to know more about them:
- Setup Password Policy
- Send password to employees
- Forget Password
- Reset Password
- Masquerade functionality
- View Empxtrack Usage
- Setup Global Groups
- Setup Company Information
- Setup Empxtrack Free Payroll for Your Company
- Migrate from Free Payroll to Paid Version
- Setup access controls
- Manage workflows
- Setup skills and competencies