The Configure Travel functionality allows you to configure the workflows for travel module and customize the generation of Travel Request IDs.
To configure Travel module settings, you need to:
- Log in as HR Manager / HR Admin.
- Go to Settings >> Employee Self Services Settings >> Travel & Expenses, as shown in Figure 1.
- Select Travel & Expense Configurations from the Travel & Expenses page that appears.
The Configure Travel page appears, as shown in Figure 2.
The page allows you to configure workflows and other settings for Travel. You can click Expense tab to configure workflows and other settings for Expense submodule.
The default settings for the sub-module are already configured. However, you can customize these settings as per your specific requirements. The request id is auto generated by default.
- Click Based on rules button from Rules for Travel Request ID field to configure the rules to generate travel request id.
The custom travel id creation fields appear at the top of the page, as shown in Figure 3.
- Provide the prefix that you want to use in the travel request id in Travel Request Prefix field.
- Provide the number from which you want to start the generation of travel request id in Start numbering from field.
- Select the type of suffix that you want to use in travel request id from Travel Request Suffix options field. The available options are:
- No Suffix: No suffix will be used in travel request id.
- Text Suffix: You will be allowed to provide the text that you want to use as suffix in travel request id.
- Field Suffix: You will be allowed to select the field that you want to use as suffix in travel request id. You can select employee id, department or location of the employee as suffix.
For example, if you provide TR in Travel Request Prefix field and 111 in Start numbering from field, select Field Suffix option in Travel Request Suffix field and then select department from the Field dropdown then the travel request Id generated for travel requests for an employee from Human Resources department would be TR111Human Resources, TR112Human Resources, TR113Human Resources as shown in Figure 4:
- Click Save to save the travel request id generation settings that you have configured.
Next, you need to configure the workflows to be used for each user involved in the Travel sub-module. The Workflow dropdown appears for each user under Edit column.
The Workflow dropdown allows you to configure the approval workflow for the Travel. For example, if you select Emp To mgr To HRM option from the Workflow dropdown for employee, then when an employee creates a travel request, the request would be approved by the manager and then by the HR manager.
- Select/ deselect the view checkbox for each user to provide view permissions to the user. The edit permissions can only be given to users who have view rights, as shown in Figure 5.
- Select the appropriate workflow for the travel request approval for the users from the corresponding Workflow dropdown. The available options are:
- No: Allows you deny edit rights to the user.
- Direct Lite: Allows direct approval or self approval. This option can be selected for the HOD, CEO or other senior executives of the company
- Emp To HRM: Allows employee’s travel request to be approved directly by HR.
- Emp To Mgr To HRM: Allows employee’s travel request to be approved by the manager and then by HR.
- Mgr To HRM: Allows the manager to create a travel request for a subordinate and then send it to HR manager for approval.
- Emp to Mgr: Allows employee’s travel request to be approved directly by the manager.
- No: Allows you deny edit rights to the user.
- Configure the permissions for all the users in the same manner.
For HR manager, you can select the Direct Lite option to allow direct approval of travel request for an employee. This is because, the HR manager is usually the last person in any workflow to approve Travel requests and reimburse travel request amounts.
- Select the time period that you want to use from Time Period dropdown, as shown in Figure 6.
The system provides you the flexibility of using two types of time periods, Financial Year and Application Time Period. Usually the financial year period is used for financial transactions and it does not necessarily start in January. In India, the financial period starts on 1st April. The time periods are also required by other modules such as Leave, Goal settings, Appraisal, Travel & Expense and Training. For such applications, Application Time period can be used that generally follow the calendar year.
So, the flexibility of settings two time periods allows you to use different time periods for different modules. The time period you choose here will be used for reporting purpose.
- Select Document Attachment checkbox to allow attachment of bills and receipts with the travel request as a proof of travel.
- Click Save Changes to save the configuration changes you have made to the sub-module.
The travel configurations are saved successfully and a message suggesting the same appears, as shown in Figure 7.
Click on each of the following links to know more about them:
- Configure Travel
- Configure Expense
- Setup Expense Types
- Setup Travel Modes
- Create a Travel Request
- Create Expense Sheet
- Approve a Travel / Expense Request