Configure Travel module to setup an approval workflow for travel requests and customize the generation of Travel Request IDs.
Note: Functionalities related to Travel module are not available in Free Payroll. Upgrade to a paid version to avail these features.
To configure Travel module settings, you need to:
- Log in as HR Manager / HR Admin.
- Go to Settings page and scroll down to Employee Self Services section. Click Travel Configuration as shown in Figure 1.
- The Configure Travel page appears as shown in Figure 2. Setup rules for managing travel requests. The section allows you to configure the generation of request id with a prefix and suffix, the approval workflow when different employees create a travel request on behalf of an employee.
- Click Based on rules button from Rules for Travel Request ID field if you want to configure rules for the Travel Request ID else the travel request id will be generated automatically.
The custom travel id creation fields appear at the top of the page.
- Provide the prefix that you want to use in the travel request id in Travel Request Prefix field.
- Provide the number from which you want to start the generation of travel request id in Start numbering from field.
- Select the type of suffix that you want to use in travel request id from Travel Request Suffix options field. The available options are:
- No Suffix: No suffix will be used in travel request id.
- Text Suffix: You will be allowed to provide the text that you want to use as suffix in travel request id.
- Field Suffix: You will be allowed to select the field that you want to use as suffix in travel request id. You can select employee number, department or location of the employee as suffix.
For example, if you provide TR in Travel Request Prefix field and 111 in Start numbering from field, select Field Suffix option in Travel Request Suffix field and then select department from the Field dropdown then the travel request Id generated for travel requests for an employee from Human Resources department would be TR111Human Resources, TR112Human Resources, TR113Human Resources.
- Configure the workflow to be used for each user in the Specify the workflow section (as shown in Figure 3). The workflow dropdown appears for each user. For example, if you select Emp To mgr To HRM option from the Workflow dropdown for employee, then when an employee creates a travel request, the request would be approved by the manager and then by the HR manager.
- Select/ deselect the view checkbox for each user to provide view permissions to the user. The edit permissions can only be given to users who have view rights.
- Select the appropriate workflow for the travel request approval for the users from the corresponding dropdown. The available options are:
- No: Allows you deny edit rights to the user.
- Direct approval: Allows direct approval or self approval. This option can be selected for the HR, HOD, CEO or other senior executives of the company.
- Emp to HR: Allows employees’ travel request to be approved directly by HR.
- Emp to Manager to HR: Employees’ travel request to be approved by the manager and then by HR.
- Mgr to HR: Allows the manager to create a travel request on behalf of a subordinate and then send it to HR manager for approval.
- Emp to Manager: Employees’ travel request to be approved directly by the manager.
- P-D-Update-Employee-HR: Personal data updated by an employee, and the approval request is sent to HR.
- Direct-Approve-HR: The request is approved directly by HR.
- E-M-H-Travel-Custom-WF: This indicates approval workflow of already existing custom workflows (can be easily configured) starting from an employee to manager and then to HR.
- M-Travel-WF-Custom: Manager sends a travel request for a subordinate and approval is to be taken by HR. This has a custom workflow.
- No: Allows you deny edit rights to the user.
- Configure the permissions for all the users in the same manner. For HR manager, you can select the Direct approval option to allow direct approval of travel request for an employee. This is because, the HR manager is usually the last person in any workflow to approve Travel requests and reimburse travel request amounts.
- Select the time period that you want to use from Time Period dropdown as shown in Figure 4. The system provides you the flexibility of using two types of time periods, Financial Year and Application Time Period.
Usually the financial year period is used for financial transactions and it does not necessarily start in January. In India, the financial period starts on 1st April. The time periods are also required by other modules such as Leave, Goal settings, Appraisal, Travel & Expense and Training. For such applications, Application Time period can be used that generally follow the calendar year. So, the flexibility of settings two time periods allows you to use different time periods for different modules. The time period you choose here will be used for reporting purpose.
- Select Document Attachment checkbox to allow attachment of bills and receipts with the travel request as a proof of travel.
- Click Save Changes to save the configuration changes you have made to the sub-module.
The travel configurations are saved successfully and a message suggesting the same appears.
Learn more about Empxtrack Travel and Expense
Click on each of the following links to know more about them: