Configure Expense module to setup workflows for expense requests and customize the generation of Expense Request IDs.
Note: Functionalities related to Expense module are not available in Free Payroll. Upgrade to a paid version to avail these features.
To configure Expense module settings, you need to:
- Log in as HR Manager/ HR Admin.
- Go to Settings page and scroll down to Employee Self Services section. Click Expense Configuration as shown in Figure 1.
- The Configure Expenses page appears as shown in Figure 2.The default settings for this module are already configured. However, you can customize settings as per your specific requirements. By default, the request id is auto generated.
- Select the Based on rules radio button from Rules for Expense Sheet ID field to configure the rules to generate expense request id, as shown in Figure 3.
- Provide the prefix that you want to use in the expense request id in Expense Request Prefix field.
- Provide the number from which you want to start the generation of expense request id in Start numbering from field.
- Select the type of suffix that you want to use in expense request id from Expense Request Suffix options field. The available options are:
- No Suffix: No suffix will be used in expense request id.
- Text Suffix: You will be allowed to provide the text that you want to use as suffix in expense request id.
- Field Suffix: You will be allowed to select the field that you want to use as suffix in expense request id. You can select employee id, department or location of the employee as suffix.
For example, if you provide EXP in Expense Request Prefix field and 111 in Start numbering from field, select Field Suffix option in Expense Request Suffix field and then select empNo from the Field dropdown then the expense request Id generated for expense requests will be EXP11118, EXP11218, EXP11318.
- Configure the workflows to be used for each user. The Workflow dropdown allows you to configure the approval workflow for the expense.
For example, if you select Emp To mgr To HRM option from the Workflow dropdown for employee, then when an employee creates an expense request, the request would be approved by the manager and then by the HR manager.
- Select/ deselect the view checkbox for each user to provide view permissions to the user. The edit permissions can only be given to users who have view rights.
- Select the appropriate workflow for the expense request approval for the users from the corresponding dropdown. The available options are:
- No: Allows you deny edit rights to the user.
- Direct approval: Allows direct approval or self approval. This option can be selected for the HR, HOD, CEO or other senior executives of the company.
- Emp to HR: Allows employees’ travel request to be approved directly by HR.
- Emp to Manager to HR: Employees’ travel request to be approved by the manager and then by HR.
- Mgr to HR: Allows the manager to create a travel request on behalf of a subordinate and then send it to HR manager for approval.
- Emp to Manager: Employees’ travel request to be approved directly by the manager.
- P-D-Update-Employee-HR: Personal data updated by an employee, and the approval request is sent to HR.
- Direct-Approve-HR: The request is approved directly by HR.
- E-M-H-Travel-Custom-WF: This indicates approval workflow of already existing custom workflows (can be easily configured) starting from an employee to manager and then to HR.
- M-Travel-WF-Custom: Manager sends a travel request for a subordinate and approval is to be taken by HR. This has a custom workflow.
- No: Allows you deny edit rights to the user.
- Configure the permissions for all the users in the same manner. For HR manager, you can select the Direct Edit option to allow direct approval of expense request for an employee. This happens as the HR manager is usually the last person in any workflow to approve expense requests and reimburse expense request amounts.
- Select the time period that you want to use from Time Period dropdown, as shown in Figure 5.The system provides you the flexibility of using two types of time periods, Financial Year and Application Time Period. Usually the financial year period is used for financial transactions and it does not necessarily start in January. In India, the financial period starts on 1st April. The time periods are also required by other modules such as Leave, Goal settings, Appraisal, Travel & Expense and Training. For such applications, Application Time period can be used that generally follow the calendar year.The flexibility of settings two time periods allows you to use different time periods for different modules. The time period you choose here will be used for reporting purpose.
- Select Document Attachment checkbox to allow attachment of bills and receipts with the expense request as a proof of expense.
- Select the expense types you want to display to the users to create expense items from the Expense Type field. Select any of the available 3 options: General, Travel and Other.
- Select Yes if you want to Allow Multi Currencies, else select No.
- Select Yes if you want to Allow Multi Currencies on Same Sheet, else select No.
- Click Save Changes to save the configuration changes you have made to the module. The expense configurations are saved successfully and a message suggesting the same appears.
Click on each of the following links to know more about them: