The Attendance Configuration functionality allows you to create Attendance Rules to capture attendance and calculate regular hours, over time, under-time, weekend and holiday work, and perform shift based calculations.
You need to capture the working hours of employees because the working hours are typically linked to the payroll and employees need to be paid overtime or deducted for under-time as per the company’s policy for the working hours.
Empxtrack automatically pulls working hours data from Attendance module during a payroll run and saves a tremendous amount of effort each month. In addition, employees and their managers can regularize entries, which leads to lesser errors.
To setup attendance rule, you need to:
1. Log into the system as HR Manager/ HR Admin.
2. Go to Settings >> Employee Self Services Settings >> Attendance.
3. Select Attendance Configuration from the Attendance page that appears, as shown in Figure 1.
The Attendance Configuration page appears, as shown in Figure 2. The page displays four tabs for attendance configuration. These tabs are:
- Manual Settings: Allows users to mark the attendance manually.
- File Upload Settings: Allows users to upload the attendance using a file.
- Regularization Settings: Allows users to regularize attendance.
- Specify Calculation Rule: Allows users to specify attendance calculation rules.
Specify the the manual attendance capture mode that you want to use. To select the desired settings, you need to:
1. Select Manual Settings tab and then specify the manual attendance capture mode that you want to use from Specify Attendance Capture Mode field.
The available options are:
- In-Out with breaks: Select this option to allow marking of In Out times including break times to the employees.
- Mark Present: Select this option to allow marking of only present status to the employees.
- Mark In-Out: Select this option to allow marking of In Out times to the employees.
The manual settings that you have configured are saved successfully and a message suggesting the same appears, as shown in Figure 3.
File Upload Settings
The File Upload Settings page allows you to configure the directly upload attendance of all the employees in the system functionality. This functionality is especially useful in situations when you integrate the Empxtrack system with any external attendance marking system such as punch card or biometric machines. In that case the data from the external system can be uploaded in the system through this functionality.
To upload attendance, you need to:
1. Select File Upload Settings tab, as shown in Figure 4.
2. Select the fields that you want to upload in the file from File Format dropdown. The available options are:
- Employee Identifier, Date, In-time, Out-time, Status (optional): This option allows you to capture Employee ID, Date, In-time, Out-time and optionally the Status of the employee attendance in separate columns.
The Status options for the attendance can be configured in the system at the time of configuring shifts through Specify Calculation Rule tab. You can have different attendance statuses for half day, worked on weekend, and worked on holiday etc.
- Employee Identifier, In-time, Out-time, Status (optional): This option allows you to capture all the fields except date in separate columns. The date is however captured automatically in the selected format with the In-time and Out-time fields.
- Employee Identifier, Date, Time, Status (optional): This option allows you to capture all the fields except In- time and Out-time in separate columns. The Time field captures both the in-time and the out-time in the selected format.
- Employee Identifier, Time, Status (optional): This option allows you to capture only the Employee ID and the status in separate columns. The In-Time, Out-time, and the Date fields are shown in the Time column.
3. Select the field separator to be used in the upload file from Field separator in file dropdown.
The file upload functionality allows you to upload the attendance of employees through a CSV (comma-separated values/ character Separated Values) file, which can be opened in MS Excel. A CSV file stores tabular data in plain text format. The data is separated with a field separator.
The Attendance upload functionality allows you to upload / download the attendance data with the selected field separator for the CSV file. The functionality also allows you to download the format in which you need to upload the data. The download file would use the separator you will select through this option. Later you can use the same file to add data and then upload the data.
Because you will be opening the CSV file in MS Excel or any other spreadsheet application, there would be no errors in uploading data even if spaces are inserted before or after the field separator. To know more about opening CSV files, click here.
4. Select the date and time format to be used from Date Column Format and Time Column Format fields respectively.
5. Select the columns to be mapped to each field in the file from their respective fields.
If you have chosen the File format that does not use separate columns for each field then you need not select any column for the missing field. For example, if you choose Employee Identifier, In-time, Out-time, Status (optional) option from File format dropdown then you should not map any column to the Date field, which is missing from the option. The date field will automatically be merged with time fields.
Also, by default, the fields appear in their respective column positions. However, if for some reason you have changed the column positions then you need to map the fields with their actual column numbers. For example, the Employee Identifier is the first field by default and therefore it needs to be mapped with 1st column.
However, if your company puts Employee identifier on the 2nd position because you are using Serial number in your company as the first field. Then, in such a scenario, you need to map the Employee identifier to the 2nd column.
This option provides a flexibility to use different attendance formats used by companies to upload data in Empxtrack system without much difficulty by just mapping the desired fields with the correct column positions.
6. Click Update Values. The configurations are saved successfully.
The attendance regularization settings allow you to configure settings for attendance regularization. To configure attendance regularization settings, you need to:
1. Select Regularization Settings tab, as shown in Figure 5.
2. Select the desired role (Employee, Manager, HR Manager) from Who can regularize? field for providing them the leave regularization rights.
3. Select when the leave regularization can be done in addition to weekdays from Permission for Employee field.
4. Select On Weekend, On Holiday and /or On Leave options if leave regularization is allowed on weekends, on holidays, and/ or on leave days for employees from Permission for Employee field.
5. Select Yes from Can employee apply for leave field if you want to allow employees to apply for leave from leave regularization page. Else select No.
6. Select the time period after which the attendance cannot be regularized from Can not be regularized after field.Select Payroll option if attendance can not be regularized after the payroll is processed, select Month or Day option, if attendance cannot be regularized after the current month or after a specified number of days.
7. Click Update Values.
Specify Calculation Rules
The Specify Calculation Rules functionality allows you to configure default working hours for default shift or create a new shift rule. In both the cases, you can follow the same steps to configure time calculation rules.
To create/modify default shift, you need to:
1. Select Specify Calculation Rules tab, as shown in Figure 6.
2. Select the rule that you want to configure from Rules dropdown or click Add New Rule to create a new rule.
The shift mapped to the rule appears in the Mapped Shifts field.
3. Specify the relaxation time before the shift and after the shift in their respective boxes in the An employee is in their shift if they come before _minutes of shift start time and_minutes after shift start time field.
4. Specify the Early In time before the shift and after the shift in their respective boxes in the An employee would be considered for early IN if they come before _minutes of shift start time and_minutes after shift start time field.
5. Specify the Early Out time before the shift and after the shift in their respective boxes in the An employee would be considered for early OUT if they leave before _ minutes of shift end time and_ minutes after shift end time field.
6. Select Yes from Consider breaks for time calculation field if you want to consider the breaks taken by employees for calculating effective working hours of employees, as shown in Figure 7.
7. Specify the number of breaks in the Reduce breaks beyond field, if you want to limit users to specified breaks. After the specified number of breaks the break time would be deducted from the working hours of the employees.
8. Specify the break time in the Reduce breaks if break time beyond field, if you want to limit the break time of users to the specified amount of time. After the specified amount of time, the break time would be deducted from the working hours of the employees.
9. Specify the total allowed break time in the Reduce breaks if total break time beyond field, if you want to limit the total break time of users to the specified amount of time. After the specified amount of time, the break time would be deducted from the working hours of the employees.
10. Specify the full day present status code in the Status code for full day present field.
11. Specify the less than shift hours status code in the Status code if an employee works less than shift hours field.
12. Specify the greater than shift hours status code in the Status code if an employee works greater than shift hours field.
13. Select Default rule[HoursWorked/ShiftHours] option from the Calculation rule field of Under Time Calculation Rule section if you want to use the default rule for the working hours define for the shift to calculate under time calculation for the shift.
Else, if you want to define custom range for under time calculation of the shift then select Time Range option and then specify the range of hours in From and To columns and the related percentage day worked for each range defined in %age day worked field.
For example, if you want to define < 2 hours worked to be considered as zero percentage worked then write 0 in From field 2 in To field and write 0 in %age day worked field. similarly define each range to be considered, as shown in Figure 8.
14. Follow step 5 to define Over Time Calculation Rule, Weekend Calculation Rule and Holiday Calculation Rule, as shown in Figure 9.
The Over Time Calculation Rule defines the percentage of overtime an employee worked, the Weekend Calculation Rule defines the percentage of time an employee worked on weekend and Holiday Calculation Rule defines percentage of time an employee worked on a holiday.
15. Follow step 5 to define Leave day Calculation Rule. The rule defines the percentage of days an employee worked in a month, as shown in Figure 10.
The percentage of days worked in a month may be required to credit leave next month’s leave into employees’ leave account.Some companies credit leave into employee’s account on the basis of his/ her previous month’s working days.
For example, if the employee has worked for 100% days then 1 leave would be credited to his/ her account. And if he/she has worked for 50% days then 0.5 days will be credited to his/ her account. If the employee has worked for less than 50% days then no leave will be credited to his/ her account for the next month.
The Assign Shift To Rule window appears, as shown in Figure 12.
17. Select the shift that you want to assign to the rule from Select Shift to assigne dropdown.
18. Click Assign Shift.
The shift is successfully assigned and appears in Mapped Shifts field, as shown in Figure 13.
19. Click Update Values button if you are modifying the default rule or click Save if you are creating a new calculation rule.
Click on each of these links to know more about them
- Configure attendance module by setting attendance and time calculation rules
- Create and manage shifts
- Mark attendance manually with breaks or without breaks and with in / out times
- Upload attendance of all the employees in one go
- View Uploaded data and process attendance