Configure Permissions and Set Leave Approval Workflow
The Leave Configuration functionality allows you to configure access permissions for all the users of the leave module. It also allows you to configure the leave approval workflow for all the users who have edit rights on the leave.
To configure permissions and set leave approval workflow, you need to:
1. Log into the system as HR manager.
The My HR tab displaying your home page appears, as shown in Figure 3-1-1.
2. Rollover mouse on the Settings tab and then select Leave option from the menu that appears, as shown in Figure 3-1-2.
Alternatively, click on the Settings tab and then click on Leave section heading, as shown in Figure 3-1-3.
The Leave Setting page appears, as shown in Figure 3-1-4.
The page displays all the functionalities that you can perform to customize the leave module according to your requirements.
Help on each functionality can be seen by just clicking on the help icon ( ) next to it. The left navigation bar opens up the Leave node and displays all the subnodes under it.
3. Click on Leave Configuration link.
The Leave Module Configuration page appears, as shown in Figure 3-1-5.
The page allows you to configure permissions for all type of users in the leave module. You can configure view as well as edit permissions for a user. To allow edit permission, the view permission must be enabled for the employee.
By default the view permissions are already configured for all the users. You can configure the edit permissions for the users.
4. Select Edit checkbox for a user to allow edit rights to the user.
The Workflow dropdown appears for the user under View and Edit checkboxes. The Workflow dropdown allows you to configure the approval workflow for the leave. For example, if you select Emp To mgr To HRM option from the Workflow dropdown for employee, then when an employee applies for a leave, the leave would be approved by the manager and then by the HR manager.
5. Select the appropriate workflow for the leave approval for the user from the Workflow dropdown. The available options are:
- Direct Lite: Allows direct approval or self approval. This option can be selected for the HOD, CEO or other senior executives of the company
- Emp To HRM: Allows employee’s leave request to be approved directly by HR.
- Emp To Mgr To HRM: Allows employee’s leave request to be approved by the manager and then by HR.
- Mgr To HRM: Allows the manager to create a leave request for a subordinate and then send it to HR manager for approval.
- Emp to Mgr: Allows employee’s leave request to be approved directly by the manager.
6. Configure the permissions for all the users in the same manner.
For HR manager, you can select the Direct Edit option to allow direct approval of leave for an employee. This is because, the HR manager is usually the last person in any workflow to approve leave or update leave records. You can also select the Workflow option, if you want to configure a workflow for leave for the HR manager.
7. Click Update.
8. Select the time period that you want to use for the Leave module from Time Period dropdown, as shown in Figure 3-1-6.
The system provides you the flexibility of using two types of time periods, Financial Year and Application Time Period. Usually the financial year period is used for financial transactions and it does not necessarily start in January. In India, the financial period starts with 1st April. The time periods are also required by other modules such as Leave, Goal settings, Appraisal, and Training. For such applications, Application Time period can be used that generally follow the calendar year.
So, the flexibility of settings two time periods allows you to use different time periods for different modules.
9. Select Document Attachment check box to allow documents upload with the leave application, as shown in Figure 3-1-7.
10. Click Update.
The permissions and workflows that you have configured for each user are saved successfully and a message suggesting the same appears, as shown in Figure 3-1-8.